I had a super shitty day today but a drawing from my 7 year old client made my day my day waaaaaaaay better.
The Nature of Therapy: How It Continues to Surprise me Time & Time Again
Coming from a perspective of a therapist in training, it is even more baffling and completely amazing to see how therapy is changing my life in the most deep and meaningful of ways.
I have done 40 sessions of therapy in the last year and half and I am now starting to dig deep. And when I say “deep”, I mean really deep. I am tapping into parts of my psyche that have been untouched for years. I am going places that I have been too scared to even acknowledge.
Going through my own process has been so important to my development as a therapist because I am going to be able to say I truly know that therapy works because I’ve gone through it. I’ve been there and I’ve done that. And even though all these difficult, heart-wrenching thoughts and feelings are coming out. It’s going to all be worth it.
Last thing my therapist told me today: “Even though we can’t go back in time and change some of the difficult things that have happened to you, we can bring back that part of you that got buried underneath all of that”.
How I Feel about Myself after Doing 5 Therapy sessions in a Row
Twenty of my Thoughts As a Write a Paper that’s due in a few hours:
1. I’ve got a paper to write. Can I do it in two hours? YOU BET YOUR ASS I CAN.
2. I really really really really don’t want to do this. UGH.
3. Okay, let’s get this paper done…I need some music. It needs to be groovy but not too fun cuz it’ll distract me. Um…
4. I really want to go salsa dancing. Where are my salsa shoes? I can’t find them anywhere.
5. I need to google some synonyms.
6. I really want to travel to Prague. I hear it’s like a fairy tale.
7. Ugh, this paper is so annoying. And I have to present on it today too.
8. Facebook just told me a friend got engaged! It’s a couple that I am beyond happy to see together.
9. I am one/third done with my paper. WOOOOOOOOOOO.
10. I’m going to do my daily blog run through: cupcakes&cashemere, datebynumbers, and my tumblr dashboard of course.
11. oh shit, my traffic ticket is going to be due in a week. FUUUCK. I’m going to ask for an extension.
12. This whole post is procrastination at its worst. Seriously.
13. Just spent the last 30 minutes reading random articles. SERIOUS.
14. I need to do all the APA formatting for this dumb paper.
15. I’m so over this dumb paper. Ugh.
16. I just thought of a great blog post idea. MMMM.
17. I’m so broke. SHIT. I need moniiiiiiiiiiesssssss. gah.
18. Yesterday my crazy best friend tried to set me up with one of her friends. Ah. at the gym. She crazy.
19. Okay I have thirty minutes to finish this paper. bahhh.
20. PRINT. PRINT. PRINT. PRINT THAT SHIT. OH YEAH BBABBY. *celebratory dance* oh yeah OH YEAHHHHHHH. DONE, mother fuckaaaaa
Life in grad school
The grad student theme song
Exhibit A: Why I love my career choice as a Children’s Therapist.
How I feel about the fact that I have a paper due tomorrow and an evaluation due today and the fact that I have like 97 deadlines in the next week. Whatever.
In love with my Career
I had an AMAZING session yesterday with my most difficult client. Sigh. I’m in love with my career.